Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Pretty Blue Dragon

I was going to write a great big gleeful post delving into my memories of seeing the Tom Meier Dragons in White Dwarf and how I fell in love with them the instant I saw them. But do you think I can find them? No, of course not. I found the Nick Bibby sculpted dragons in 'Eavy Metal (Red, Blue, Green, Spined and Imperial) but couldn't find any of the Meier ones. I remember vividly the advertisements for the green dragon with the running dwarf and I think it was opposite an Illuminations page for Ian Miller. And again, this would be the citadel sculpted one and not necessarily the Meier one.

Why am I talking about this? Because I have just received the fantastic Blue Dragon sculpted by Tom Meier that was produced by both Citadel and Ral Partha.  I got the RP version because it is about 4 times cheaper than the Citadel produced one.

And I bought it based on memories of having seen it in White Dwarf in the late 80s, early 90s,

Isn't she beautiful?

And now I am in a weird situation. Because I can't find this specific blue dragon in WD to save my life. I'm fairly certain that it's in one of the damned things but I don't have physical copies to hand (stuck in a box across the pacific) and the scans available often cut advertising (idiots! that's oft-times the best part)

I did however find citadel's serpentine dragon, by Nick Bibby, which is a very similar sculpt from the issues that I had and I am wondering now if this is the dragon I actually saw. Or perhaps I saw both?

This did appear in a Citadel/GW publication, just unsure where! 

The Nick Bibby Serpentine Dragon as showcased in WD 96.

(Pictures nicked from here: http://solegends.com/citdragon/)

The end result is that I now have a miniature that I love, based on  misremembering another (albeit similar) miniature that I also love. Which is hilarious to me. The memory is now a superimposition of the Meier dragon and the Bibby Dragon, both blue, both similarly posed and both produced by Citadel around the same time. Curses, I now need to find the other blue dragon!

No comments:

Post a Comment